Frequently Asked Questions

What identification documents are required when applying an airport-issued badge?
The same documents as listed on the most current List of Acceptable Documents of the Form I-9, found at A current airport-issued ID does not count as an acceptable document for our purposes.
In addition to above, U.S. citizens who were born abroad must provide one of the following:
  • U.S. Passport or Passport Card,
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550 or N-570),
  • Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (N-560 or N-561),
  • Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350),
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240), or
  • Certification of Birth Abroad (FS-545)
All identification documents presented must be unaltered originals and may not be expired. Photocopies of documents cannot be accepted.
What must if a badge holder’s name has changed?
He/she must complete an application. If approved identification documents provided to the Badging Office staff do not have the new name, an original or certified copy of the marriage certificate or court documents indicating the legal name change will also be required.
Is there a grace period on the expiration date for badges?
No. The badge expires at 5:00 PM of the date printed. You may renew your badge the month of expiration with a scheduled appointment and two forms of identification and a renewal badge application.
What do I need to do if my badge is lost or stolen?
Immediately notify the Airport Badging Office at 414.747.4537 or, after hours, Airport Operations at 414.747.5325. For the new issuance of the identification media, you must provide a letter on company letterhead briefly describing the situation along with a completed application. Fee for an unaccountable media is $50.00.
Is a refund of the lost/stolen badge fee offered if lost badge is returned?
No, fees associated with the issuance of the replacement badge are not refundable.
What happens to my badge if I am no longer employed with the same company?
The badge is property of General Mitchell International Airport and must be returned to your previous employer or to the Airport Badging Office. This is also true if you remain at General Mitchell International Airport but have changed employers.


Initial ID: $60.00
Criminal History Records Check: $20.00
Renewal ID: Cost of only CHRC
Renewal after expiration date: $50.00
Renewal past 30 days after expiration: Cost of an initial badge.
Replacement of Lost ID: $50.00
Subsequent Lost Replacement: $100.00

Accepted forms of payment: Cash, Check payable to General Mitchell International Airport (GMIA), Visa, Mastercard, and Discover.